Thursday, July 10, 2014

Darkly Delicious Detail about BURN OUT by Kristi Helvig




I had to research some interesting things for BURN OUT. After googling (yes, that’s a verb) something along the lines of “most deadly weapons,” I half-expected a knock on the door from homeland security. The astrophysics part of the book required more intense research and involved help from a well-respected astrophysics department. 


One of the issues I had to resolve was how the sun could plausibly burn out early, which was the crux of the book (and the title). Nothing I’d found online could explain it and the detail I found most interesting while researching BURN OUT was that the sun would not be harmed even if all the nuclear weapons on Earth were detonated on it. That amazed me. A very wise astrophysicist was able to tell me how the sun could burn out early, but luckily, it’s a highly improbable scenario. Research is one of my favorite parts of writing, so I’m going to continue googling random thing, but I’m keeping a copy of my book close at hand—just in case homeland security drops by for a chat. :) 




Kristi Helvig is a Ph.D. clinical psychologist turned sci-fi/fantasy author. She muses about Star Trek, space monkeys, and other assorted topics on her blog and Twitter. Kristi resides in sunny Colorado with her hubby, two kiddos, and behaviorally-challenged dogs. Grab a copy of BURN OUT on Amazon, Indiebound, or Barnes & Noble.


1 comment:

  1. Seriously ... I type some crazy things into that Google box. ;) It's just part of the fun of being a writer!

    ReplyDelete