Friday, December 20, 2013

Top 5 Holiday Secrets from Margo Kelly


Margo Kelly, author of Who RU Really? is dishing some of her favorite and worst holiday secrets. To learn more about Margo and her books, click here.


Favorite Holiday Drink:
HOT CHOCOLATE! It might not be original, but I love it, especially with tiny little marshmallows and peppermint sticks. Mmm. And it has to be PIPING hot.


Photo credit: http://www.ohbiteit.com/2013/11/marshmallow-hot-chocolate.html

Worst Gift I Ever Gave (which could also count as my most embarrassing holiday moment):
Years ago my husband and I were invited to a Christmas party with a “White Elephant” gift exchange. The gifts were all wrapped, and everyone selected an unopened gift from the pile. The lady who opened our gift was mortified when she discovered what was in the very heavy but beautifully wrapped box: two telephone books and five cans of food with no labels on them. … While ours was not the worst gift that night (someone else had packaged up leftovers from their fridge), we were not invited back the next year. Oops. We thought the gifts were supposed to be funny white elephant items. On a positive note, we did go home with a very nice Christmas platter.

Favorite Holiday Tradition:
We put four Monopoly boards together and have a massive Monopoly marathon travelling around all four boards and buying property everywhere. It lasts for days, and sometimes it can get pretty brutal. Santa usually brings a new “themed” Monopoly board each year.


Worst Holiday Treat:
I thought it would be a great idea for us to decorate gingerbread houses, but the store-bought kits taste awful (even the candy is stale). My younger son had fun with the decorating, but my older son decided it was dumb. Note his picture: He assembled the house and decorated it with the word “done” written in frosting. Nice. Where’d he get that attitude from anyhow?


Why I Love/Hate the Holidays:
I do have a love/hate relationship with the holidays. I do love to spend time with my family (most current picture from one year ago below), but this year my two sons will be in other states on the other side of the country. *sniff* And then there’s the fact that our beloved dog Pennie died on Christmas a few years ago. *frown* But don’t worry about me; I’ll be fine. Or … actually … feel free to worry about me and send me cookies. Yes. Frosted sugar cookies and those peanut butter cookies with the Hershey’s Kisses in the middles … those would cheer me up for sure! PM me for my mailing address. *wink*


  Margo


6 comments:

  1. LOL on your smart aleck son! :) And that hot chocolate looks incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Four Monopoly boards... wow! I bet that's a lot of fun. =) And I want that cup of hot chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That hot chocolate looks amazing!

    I've never made it through an entire game of Monopoly. I don't have the patience. I can't imagine a marathon with multiple boards. Kudos to you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want that Hot Chocolate so bad. I love board games but the family won't play with me. They say I'm too competitive. It's not my fault they don't understand it's the rules that make it fun! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG! That picture of the hot chocolate...*leaves computer and goes to Starbucks*

    ReplyDelete
  6. The hot chocolate looks good! My son and I like to play Monopoly and we have several different versions. I'll have to tell him about how your family plays.

    ReplyDelete